SAIS keeps records of avalanche occurrences in Scotland and elsewhere in Britain. We would appreciate hearing from you if you are involved in an incident or if you witness any avalanches.
SAIS snow and avalanche reports
These are issued every day mid-December to mid-April for the Glencoe, Lochaber, Creag Meagaidh Northern Cairngorms and Southern Cairngorms areas.
- GLENCOE - includes Glen Coe and Glen Etive hills.
- LOCHABER - includes Ben Nevis range to Aonach Mor
- NORTHERN CAIRNGORMS - includes Northern Corries and Loch Avon basin
- CREAG MEAGAIDH - includes the north Laggan hills westward to Beinn a' Chaoruinn
- SOUTHERN CAIRNGORMS - includes Lochnagar and Glen Shee
Note: Reports are for areas OUTSIDE developed ski areas.
Snow and Avalanche Reports are also available from:
- LOCAL RADIO
- NATIONAL RADIO and TV news or weather reports (occasional)
- NATIONAL and REGIONAL newspapers in Scotland
- NOTICEBOARDS at strategic locations in Glen Coe (Glencoe village, Ballachulish, Onich), the Northern Cairngorms (Aviemore), Creag Meagaidh (Spean Bridge, Fort William, Kingussie, Aviemore), Lochaber (Fort William) and the Southern Cairngorms (Ballater and Braemar).
- SAIS Website - www.sais.gov.uk
- Cyberspace Snow and Avalanche Centre www.csac.org (a very useful website with all available avalanche report information world-wide)
- SAIS Reports contain information on conditions observed on that day, along with an Avalanche Hazard Outlook for the following day. Avalanche hazard is assessed on a five-point rising scale (the European Avalanche Hazard Scale).
- A Chance in a Million? - Barton and Wright.
- Mountaincraft and Leadership - Langmuir.
- International Mountain Rescue Handbook - MacInnes.
- Avalanche Safety for Climbers and Skiers - Daffern.
- The Avalanche Handbook - McClung and Schaerer
- Snow Sense - Fredston and Fesler
- Snow - Robert Bolognesi
- Avalanche! - Robert Bolognesi
The sportcotland Avalanche Information Service is administered and funded by the Scottish Sports Council.
The assistance of the following is gratefully acknowledged:
- Cairngorm Mountain, Aviemore.
- Nevis Range Development Company, Fort William.
- Glencoe Mountain.
- Glenshee Ski Area
- Association of Chief Police Officers (Scotland)